DWA is active
Water scarcity depends on population growth, climate changes, and urbanization. The reuse of treated wastewater is a contribution to the management of limited resources in developing as well as in industrialized countries in the fields of agriculture, urban development, industry, hotels and transport.
Since 2005, the DWA working group BIZ 11.4 “water reuse” with its interdisciplinary experts deals with the improvement of frame conditions for project implementation in the field of design and training capacities.
- Spokesman 2005 – 2008: Hans Huber, Berching
- Spokesman 2009 – 2014: Prof. Peter Cornel, Darmstadt
- Spokesman since 2015: Prof. Jens Haberkamp, Münster
DWA topics "treatment steps for water reuse"
A matrix of commonly used processes of wastewater treatment has been elaborated in order to support the selection of the most suitable treatment techniques for reuse. Each process step was assessed with regard to various aspects such as discharge quality, costs, consumption of material and energy, expenses for maintenance etc. DWA Topics „treatment steps for water reuse“ is confined to the reuse of water for agricultural and urban purposes like irrigation and non-potable water applications.
Contains assessment matrix of possible treatment steps for water reuse:
- Mechanical treatment (screening, filtration)
- Ponds, storage and treatment tanks
- UASB, activated sludge process, trickling filter, helophyte treatment plants
- Downstream filtration/ precipitation/flocculation, membrane technology
Training material for water reuse
„DWA Guidelines for the practical implementation of water reuse” cover theory and in-practice solutions of water reuse in their interdisciplinary context with 500 slides including four elaborated case studies.
- Importance of water reuse
- Regulation and standards
- Planning and implementation and operation of water reuse projects (Project manager, water reuse projects, requirements, organisation, quality assurance)
- Acceptance (target groups, strategies, Lessons learnt)
- Energy (potential, emissions, climate impact)
- Hygiene (pathogens, disinfection)
- Ecology and agriculture (water balance, climate, irrigation)
- Economic aspects( costs, financing, case studies)
- Case studies from Tunisia, Bahrain, Jordan and Germany
Seminar "water reuse - overview for practitioners and case studies"
DWA can offer a whole training package “water reuse” according to your needs. The 2 days seminar “water reuse - overview for practitioners and case studies” has been realized twice in 2012 and 2013.